Just a quick post tonight. Here is a painting I made in Cornish New Hampshire a week or two ago. The top picture here is my transparent lay in. I worked on it for perhaps four hours on location and ended up with this.
Sometimes I work on a piece in the studio a little bit and it is finished, but other times I extensively rework them. This is an example of that. Almost everything visible on the finished painting was done in the studio with the outdoor painting serving as an armature.
I added the road because the foreground seemed empty and I wanted a stronger lead in. I decided I didn't like the Trees on the right pushed against the frame so I invented a much smaller one and moved it towards the center more. All I wanted was to stop the viewers eye from sliding out over there. I worked up the snow to get more definition and some color and bright lit planes in there . I worked up the trees and barns making them brighter and a lot more defined. I downplayed that big white pine in the center of the painting as it seemed too assertive and I worked up the barns because I thought they needed to be more detailed and interesting.