Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Seago mystery

© The Estate of Edward Seago, courtesy of Portland Gallery www.portlandgallery.com

Several of you writing in the comments have suggested that perhaps the Seago painting was of another building on or near the same spot. I e-mailed my trusty English friend and he has done some research for us all. Thanks, over there!



He has unearthed a photo of the place from 1965 showing the building above in this landscape, although from a different angle. It is more like what Seago painted, but not a barn. So, who knows? My English confidante also sent a pair of Seago pictures which look to be the same location, one with a house and one without. I believe they do illustrate Seago slicing and dicing out there. Now you see it, now you don't


© The Estate of Edward Seago, courtesy of Portland Gallery www.portlandgallery.com
© The Estate of Edward Seago, courtesy of Portland Gallery www.portlandgallery.com

I flew back to New England today, via Atlanta. It is evidently a hard place to reach by direct flight. I am grateful they didn't send me the Great Circle route over the pole.

5 comments:

billspaintingmn said...

All this inspiration.. Stape, I think I'm gonna bust!
From snow,to trees, to waves, and now these.
I need three of me to keep up!
(but thanks, I picked up more ice trays..)

Stapleton Kearns said...

Bill:
Hey where is everybody? Is it something I said? Got an Ask Stape tonight. Maybe I can say something provocative.
................Stape

Unknown said...

I'm too busy painting a seascape to comment...

Stapleton Kearns said...

Deb;
At least you are alive! Rattle your cup! All I hear is the echoing clatter of my little black obsidian tassel loafers on the corrugated steel floors in here.
.............Stape

Unknown said...

Ha! That quote's a keeper....