Sunday, November 28, 2010

Raymond Loewy 4


By the the 1940's Loewy headed a design studio, what they designed, borer his name, but individual projects were executed by others under the supervision of Loewy. The firm worked for Studebaker. Above is the 1950 bullet nose. Below is the Commander Starlight Coupe, one of the most beautiful cars of the 1950's.


Below is a 1956 Studebaker Silver Hawk.



In 1961 Lowey designed the Studebaker Avanti, a legendary car. I remember seeing one at the county fair when I was a kid. This thing looked like it came from outer space. The Jetsons could have driven this thing. The front end, with no grill, looked radical then and still does today.


Here is a panel truck designed for International Harvester.

Loewy designed the classic Greyhound Bus.


And Ta-Da! Air Force One, or at least the paint scheme.


Raymond Loewy, though he became an American citizen, retired to his native France in 1980 and died in 1988. His firm is still existent today and run by his surviving family. Loewe designed the look of America from the era of steam engines to the era of jets, he designed toasters, tract houses,cars and radios and even a 140 foot long locomotive. No designer had a bigger effect on the 20th century than Raymond Loewy, not only for the breadth of his influence but also for the length of time he was active.

12 comments:

billspaintingmn said...

Raymond Loewy lead the field. It's amazing how one person with a vision can change the world to be a better place, or at least bring
a sense of it.
The world is run by those that show up and get involved. Thanks Stape!

Robert J. Simone said...

When I grow up I want to drive an Avanti. I see them with relative frequency on the road her St. Pete/Tampa. Beautiful! I see a couple Hawks and Larks around town with regularity, too! Never thought about who designed them but always admire them.

n2w said...

Loewy took the design for the 1950 Studebaker (top) straight from the Tucker '48. Tucker was going to sue, but the Tucker was gone, and Preston Tucker decided there wasn't any point in suing.

barbara b. land of boz said...

First, let me say a belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Stapleton.....you give freely to all of us each day your time and engery that is spent on this blog...it's a journey that I wish to be on for a long time.
The last of the family have just left...that bittersweet time when the quiet draws you in to reflect on your own childhood memories of going to "grandmas" house for Thanksgiving.....Life is Good.

willek said...

I remember walking home in second grade and seeing a Studebaker for the first time. I was struck by the fact that you could not tell the front from the back of the car. It seemed to have two hoods, so you could not tell if it was coming toward you or going away.That was a while ago.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stape,
Over the holiday I was in a conversation w/ a couple who's son wants to study art. The husband said he thought that was totally impractical. I countered w/ the fact that every product that is successful has had the touch of art; on the product, logo, packaging, advertizing, manufacturing, building, etc; every step of the way. I started out in fine art and when my school went abstract, I graduated in Industrial Design, I wanted to draw and paint reality. I built a manufacturing co, we worked for large companies; and I can tell you we were always waiting for the art departments! These are great posts, as usual you open our eyes and minds! Terry

Stapleton Kearns said...

bill:
You are welcome.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Simone;
I guess that stuff doesn't rust down there. Up here the salt on the roads would destroy them.
..................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Oggy;
Maybe, I can sue?
..................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

barbara:
Thanks. I wonder what got into me. Almost two years, every day.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Willek;
That was of course the classic criticism of that car. The 70's Riveria had the same problem.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Terry;
I think maybe Dad did the right thing. It is a tremendously difficult road that EATS people. If the kid really wants to be an artist nothing dad can say will stop him. If the kid hasn't got the MOXIE he is saving him a lot of heartache.
............Stape