Friday, August 21, 2009

Inness in New Hampshire

I must do a very short post tonight , here is a picture of Inness as an older man than we saw before. He is less wild eyed and more formal looking, but there is still something very unusual about him here also. As I said before he was a very strange cat. That's a big painting behind him.
In 1875 Inness returns from his five year trip to Italy and moves to Medfield again. He spends that summer in the White mountains. I told you in a previous post how many of the painters of this area summered in the Conway area. Inness rented a studio in the upstairs of a school in North Conway. I believe the building is gone, but I have seen it pointed out on an old map, so I have a good idea where it was. It would have been almost right on the intervale valley that leads up to Mt. Washington. Inness painted the Whites in a different way then his friends from the Hudson river school. He painted more intimate scenes with lowering clouds and romantic themes. He didn't seem to be interested in painting the grand, dramatic mountain vistas, of which there are many. Here art several New Hampshire paintings.



I have included one more, not a New Hampshire picture but painted a little over a year later. This is one of my very favorites. I don't have a very large image of it, but I do have this.

I must close. I will see you tomorrow, when I can write a little more. The next phase brings Inness into a new and radical style and astounding growth of picture making ability.

6 comments:

Philip Koch said...

For just sheer beauty it's hard to beat these three oils. Inness manages an amazing level of selectivity but always remains so generous to his viewers. What a gift to the world.

Jan Blencowe said...

I find the first painting so unusual and intriguing (part of what I love about Inness' work, the mystery and intrigue).

The foreground and pine tree look as if they could be a delicately hand colored photograph.

The middleground loosens up and then there's that amazing cloud and it's shadow hanging, almost impossibly so, over the mountain.

I could look at this for a very long time and still be captivated.

Unknown said...

Love that last one. Really fabulous stuff. I hear you ran into my buddy Dave out painting this week.
Small world!'
"menes" more than one men

Stapleton Kearns said...

Philip:
I find more in these paintings every time I study them. I am learning from them as I write about them.
......Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Jan:
They bare delicate aren't they. Is that one of those bristle,synthetic mix brushes in your hand there?.............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

DEb: I think you will like those from the late period of his life that we are now just entering. They are really unique.
I did meet a friend of yours out there.We were painting on an old Bierstadt, McEntee location.

menes= as in Waize and Menes, a senate subcomitee.