Here is a cross section of the upper arm from Gray's Anatomy. I'll bet you thought it was a Thanksgiving ham,didn't you? Its dissection time again! Here's our first subject now, relax, this won't hurt a bit.
Heres a little mill, the original is above and my photoshopped version below.
Here is what I did to it and why.
- I cropped it so that the mill no longer was right in the middle of the canvas, but had a little more open space on the left than the right.
- I altered and strengthened the shadows at the lower right to carry the eye into the mill. That also gave me one dark corner and one light one. That is more interesting. I did the same thing up at the top too, closing off one side and showing the sky on the other.
- I made the effect of the light more pronounced. I lightened the roof a little, and I darkened the shadow side, then I threw some reflected light from the grass and some variation into the color of the shadow,
- I darkened all of the grass to get the illuminated wall of the mill to light up by comparison.
- I tied all of the darks across the foreground and in the shadow side of the mill into one big shape.
- I scattered some little accents about to give the look of a little more detail and get some vibration here and there.