Saturday, July 24, 2010

Selective list of seminal posts 3

You can get an antique stove like this at antiquestoves.com

I am mining the earliest parts of this blog to make available some of what I feel are the most nuts and bolts entries I have written. In the early parts of this blog I covered a lot of how-to stuff. Because I have moved on from that to other subjects I wanted the readers to know they are there. These are probably the most useful posts for those learning to paint. I write about art history and art business etc, and those things are important too, but the sections on edges and brushstroke are essential. These may well be the most unique and worthwhile things I have written, and I wrote them before a lot of you found the blog.

About edges


More about edges


More about edges 2


Yet more about edges


Juries and injuries

Each brushstroke


Every brushstroke 2


Every brushstroke 3

Every brushstroke 4

Edges, deweighting for eye control

I hope you will go read those and I will meet you back here. I might do about one or two more nights of this, then I will return to the slaughter of the innocents. Critiques.

10 comments:

Dusty Pines said...

thank you for listing these! since finding yr blog i've been trying to read backwards (err... i mean chronologically!), but keep getting bogged down - there's so much information! for which a separate thanks!

Teresa Lynn said...

Thanks so much for listing these, great info. I really do enjoy your style of teaching. I know its very time consuming, so THANK YOU for you time.

Sandra Galda said...

you are an online atelier...wonderful posts thank you!!!!

DJ said...

Timely thoughts.
A bit of validation.
And antique ovens to boot.
You're going in my blogroll so I have someone to talk to.

billspaintingmn said...

This is great Stape! Obsevation & orchestration & practice.
And a fresh tank of gas!

Stapleton Kearns said...

Dusty:
Thank you. The blog is huge and the early posts are very important. They are the stuff that I wanted to get out because they are not presented well in the art schools and most books I see.
..........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Teresa;
Thanks, you got that time thing right!
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Sandra:
I am not sure I would call this an atelier. I think that the ateliers are the place to get training and I would not pretend to be a substitute for that. But many people have to work and can't drop everything to study in one.I feel sure you are in a good one by the way.
...............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

DJ
I like antique ovens. I don't own one but someday I will. They are so cool.I had an old white and green enameled one in an apartment once. I loved the thing.It worked just fine too. I have also had the old squarer refrigerators with the cylindrical compressor on the top. They work fine too but the freezers are too small.
........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

bill;
Thanks, this gas contains no ethanol either.
.............Stape