Sunday, September 26, 2010

Odds and ends

I have been teaching all day and will only write a little tonight. I think I will answer a few questions that have been thrown at me lately.

I said in the critique last night that "light eats color". One of you asked what I meant by that. In extremely brightly lit areas of a scene the color is refused. Instead of being highly colored glare takes over in these passages. More color is found out by the turning edge of the shadow than in the really bright areas. You remember the images of spheres lit to show the parts of the light. One part, called the highlight is often represented as white, even on a colored sphere. That is an extreme example of light "eating" the color.

I was asked if the permanent reds I have been using are from RGH. They are not. I have been using two, Rembrandt, and Sennelier. I happened to have a couple of big tubes of those and they last me a long time. If I were shopping for a permanent red at RGH I would check out their pyrolene ruby red. I haven't actually tried it, but I have used other makers pyrolene red and liked them. So buy a little and see if you like it first before buying the half gallon.

I was asked about giving and receiving critiques in a group. I wanted to suggest a discipline you might want to try. Whoever's work is being critiqued doesn't speak until the crit is finished. That eliminates all of the excuse making and reduces the chance of disagreements arising (sometimes)
I have a general rule for myself of never defending my art. Say what you want, I will listen and decide whether it is useful, but I don't ever explain or make excuses.I won't try to tell you that you are wrong, even if I think you are. I just smile and listen, nodding occasionally so you know I am listening. Then I go back to work, either using or ignoring your criticism.

I have found that the Sherwin Williams prime which I have recommended her on the blog for panels has been reformulated and turpentine lifts it some. I switched to Zinsser OIL based primer (not shellac based!) and it seems to be working fine. Here is the original post on making panels

Gotta have sleep, goodnight.

10 comments:

Karla said...

Stape,

Just so you know your writing does not just float off into cyberspace. I just finished making my first set of panals from your panal post. Bought 3 of the 24X48 panals. Was quick and easy and now I don't have to keep running to the store for canvas. Thanks again!

Steve said...

Stape,

Knowing first-hand the length and intensity of your day yesterday, I'm impressed you summoned the energy and discipline to make this post. It also explains that coffee you ordered with dinner. Thanks for all the information, both in cyberspace and in real life.

T Arthur Smith said...

Here's a completely different topic. So far I don't think you've discussed it? What's your take on photography as art?

Mary said...

Now that I'm ready to make my own panels, I'm ready to make the box to transport wet paintings but can't find the post. When did you post it? And thank you!

billspaintingmn said...

Stape! Each painting should have it's own hand gun for defence. The world is vicous, and a painting shouldn't have to put up with it.
(I really wanted to be at that workshop by the way~)

Stapleton Kearns said...

Karla:
I am glad that worked out for you. I make scads of them.
.....................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Steve:
Thanks. I did it again today. I need to crash.
...........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

T. Arthur Smith;
I don't want to go there. I have plenty of enemies already. Its art.
...............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Mary;
I guess I need to write that on e. I don't think I already have. I have written so many posts I don't even remember.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

bill;
perhaps a hard candy coating like M and M's.
...................Stape