Monday, September 27, 2010

Crit 2

I recieved the painting above for a crit. Wow, what a great painting! This really has the feel of the place. I can even feel the temperature of this dry stretch of road.


I did make a few small changes to this one. It was so nice I didn't want to do much, it was hard to find a lot wrong with it. But I did the following.
  • I felt that the shadows across the road were a little repetitive and too heavy. I lightened them up and reduced the size of the most distant ones. I wanted their size to decrease more as they receded.
  • I cleaned up the sky a little. It had a few notes that seemed a little dirty and I made the clouds a little more horizontal and simpler because the landscape receded so deeply and quickly I felt that that added a little more balance to those lines in the road.
Again, I taught about a 12 hour day so that's all for tonight. See you tomorrow. Thank you to our mystery artist for the use of their excellent painting.

14 comments:

Nika said...

I really dig these past couple of crits, it explains more then one can possibly do in pages and pages of writing. And you're so right on with it, it's thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks for taking your time to do it!

Gregory Becker said...

Even though the format is a portrait, it has a strong sense of breadth. This artist deserves the first ever Stapleton Kearns artists' name reveal.

mariandioguardi.com said...

OK, I agree about that shadow patterns being a little too repetitive . Good call. But I like the darker shadows because the warm lighted areas are emphasized by comparison.

Mary Byrom said...

Very nice! My first view of a fresh post in weeks. The changes are great and really brighten up the piece - and nice variations in the shadow temps.

billspaintingmn said...

I agree, that is a great painting! Your corrections has tipped it to
the targets center.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your changes and the shadows needed lightening in value. I think there is good harmony in handling of the painting but the composition could be improved. The straight road from left center up through the painting is too quick. Would like to see greater angles in the road and a barn or house to make my eye stay or fix in the midground area. Like the blog on crits. Can I send in One?

Martyn Chamberlin said...

Something that might interest you guys is the fact that I forgot to bring paper towels, so changing from one color to another was a bit tricky. It was good practice though, and I recommend trying it some time.

Thanks for the critique Stape!

Stapleton Kearns said...

Thanks Nika
..................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Gregory:
The 17 year old artist outs himself below!
...................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Marian;
Too much ink!
....................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Mary:
I didn't change very much. I really liked that piece.
.....................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Bill;
What target?
...................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Silvio;
Sure send me a painting. I can't crit them all, but I do the ones that offer me a teaching opportunity.
.......................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Martyn;
You are welcome. I have to have my Bounties!
....................Stape