Monday, July 4, 2011

Carvers Harbor

I don't know what this post has to do with art, nothing I suppose, but it is very New England and I sometimes stop to show you images of that. People reading this blog are scattered all over the map and enjoy seeing the "old" New England. I shot these today with my little pink camera ( a gift from my wife "you don't care if it's pink do you? I got a deal on it!")

I was on Vinalhaven today. That's an island about ten miles out from Rockland, Maine. It has a small town on it called Carvers Harbor. I have been here many times. It was foggy and all the photos are blurry but they look cool. Below is a corner of the harbor. The economy of the whole island centers around lobstering. There are a lot of very historic and hidden corners of New England, I like to go to a few of them, they are the sort of places I look for painting locations.

Below is the gray ocean itself. Vinalhaven doesn't get much surf, but here is a little. Monhegan, another island outside the mouth of the Penobscot Bay gets more reliable surf.

Here we are on Main street waiting for the 4th of July parade, please note the architecture.

And up the street come the Shriners in little race cars. There were actually fire trucks and people dressed as lobsters and marching veterans. However I liked the little racecars.

And then up the hill behind us; towards the gallamander.



And I love old headstones, this one is in a tiny cemetery on Lanes Island, connected by a little bridge to Vinalhaven.

18 comments:

Sergio Lopez said...

Is it always so foggy there? Really interesting, reminds me a bit of Bodega, close to where I live here...

Michael Chesley Johnson, Artist / Writer said...

Nice photos, Stape! Here in Lubec and Eastport, the Shriners drive cars that look like lobster boats!

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

Vinalhaven is a wonderful place with fabulous moody light. My grandchildren were probably watching the parade with you, and my son-in-law has paintings in one of the local restaurants.

Philip Koch said...

Stapleton, nobody in the world travels around more than you do.

Judy P. said...

Looks like a lovely slice of life!

Mary Byrom said...

Must be summer in Vinalhaven...you can tell by the amount of people at the parade. That place is a great place to paint. The only odd feeling I had when I was out there painting (in October after the summer people left) was a town full of houses that all stayed dark at night. No one was living in them. Looks like 3/4 of the island is now inhabited by summer people. If you move there year round they check you out for 10 years, if they like you they adopt you as an islander. This place used to be a busy hub, cutting & shipping granite, then cement got popular. Love that extreme tide in Carvers Pond.

Robert J. Simone said...

I've been sailing in that area. Fun navigating the lobster pots under sail. Like running a slalom course! Thanks for including Ol' Glory!

stapeliad said...

Lovely pictures, I see you had the misty fog too.

sarah meredith said...

As Tina Fey says, "I want to go to there!"

Stapleton Kearns said...

Main;
No but in the summer you can get a lot of fog.
..........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Michael Chesley Johnson;
Someday I shall see that! I have a foolish like for the pageant of the Shriners car thing.
.........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Jo-Ann Sanborn;
I could live on Vinalhaven I think, but it is hard to come and go.
.............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Philip Koch;
No. I don't think so.
............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Judy P;
It looks like old New England anyway.
..............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Mary Byrom;
I have always wanted to have a house on Vinalhaven. I don't see one out there any time soon though.
..............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Simone;
There are a lot of Lobster traps in trawls (chains of units) out in that water. Looks like zillions if seen from a high point on land.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Stapeliad;
It was kind of evocative though.
..........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

sarah meredith;
I had no idea she had said that.
..................Stape