Friday, July 8, 2011

:Sjvzcdv'dvdang;n;dKA N"Wni'pqrqjw

Today's blog entry is in the works and will be posted sometime later. I am back from Maine, and then I went to Cape Cod to move paintings around. I have three pieces in a show at the Shipyard gallery in Hingham, Mass. All of the travel and deadlines lately have made it harder to be consistent with getting the blog written. Sorry, when I have to choose between business stuff and blogging I have to put the business first. Gotta eat.

I think things are going to lighten up around here now, and I won't be running so hard, I have a lot of unfinished art in the studio and dealers tapping their little hooves at me wondering when they are going to get it. My paintings often take a lot of time and I need to hole up with this unfinished art and get it out the door.
You who want to paint full time as an occupation, should know that you will get plenty of time painting and at the business of art (which I do poorly). You will get nothing else sometimes.

6 comments:

Lucy said...

You may not like this compliment but your photographs are really beautiful. Maybe you can't help it, you just know what looks good.

mariandioguardi.com said...

Yeah...it's feast or famine. Everybody wants them at the same time and then....

Philip Koch said...

I think what Stapleton is telling us is being a painter is a heck of a lot of actual work, long hours, and sometimes intense isolation. Well, we're not the first generation of artists to face these devils..

It takes a pretty unique personality to pull off this balancing act.

Stapleton Kearns said...

Lucy;
I have a pink point and shoot camera that my wife got a deal on at Wal-Mart. I shoot lots of reference photos though. I like some of them too,I always think I could make a painting out of that, but in practice I never do, I always want to make them directly from nature.
...........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

mariandioguardi.com;
Painting is a STUPID way to make a living.
................Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Philip Koch;
Lots of opportunities to work,and work some more.I am not very isolated though, could use a little more of that maybe.
...............Stape