Friday, July 15, 2011

Panel Boxes

I received an e-mail asking me about panel boxes, did I have them and what kind? I have a bunch of them. None are however, the new vinyl and foam light weight store-bought kind.Those are good and light, but I want armor, not portability so I make my own. Also, since I work larger than many of the plein air painters, the available boxes are often not large enough for my needs. I have had the box below for many years and it holds 18 by 24's. It is luan plywood and pine held together by sheet rock screws. It is functional, heavy and ugly. This would never do for air travel, they live in the trunk of the car, I never carry a panel box with me out into the field. I have had most of my panel boxes longer than the new vinyl jobs have been made and I like the utilitarian crate look, but I would like to have a smaller vinyl one as they are light and good for travel.


Here is the slotted inside of the box, I cut the slots on my cheapo Sears table saw. There is a door hinge at the distal end of that lid I am lifting.

Here is a sash lock, that holds the box closed.

Here are a couple of shots of a box made for me by a carpenter, the top slides in a groove and this holds 9by 12's. It ought to have a handle though, or a strap.

Here is a really easy to make and soundly utilitarian box given me by a friend. It is made of rigid Styrofoam insulation joined with duck tape. Below with construction glued spacers in it's interior to keep the panels from mating. This 16 by 20 box is light. It has no lid and is again, something that lives in the trunk of my car. This thing will hold a lot of panels two to a slot and then maybe a few more crammed in there too. Ideal for a painting trip.


/

8 comments:

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

A wealth of info here, much needed by me. Thank you!

Tim said...

Nice post Stape, I myself have made a wet panel carrier that Im quite pleased with. Ill shamelessly post a link here,

http://timpaints.blogspot.com/2011/03/wet-panel-carrier.html

Whats good about this one is that Ive made it adjustable so I can carry many different sizes at the same time. Maybe my solution will inspire other people!

Philip Koch said...

Ah, the magic IS in the details! Great photos that warm the heart of any landscape oil painter.

Making the paintings beautiful is hard enough. Keeping them that way should be easeir and these boxes do that.

Anonymous said...

...so I've wondered this a few times from other posts, but this post where you disclose that you never take a carrier into the field with you really begs the question: How DO you transport your supports to and from your auto? Going in I imagine is easier, but coming out with a wet painting(s)? You have your gargantuan Stape Kearns Signature Gloucester-tower easel, your plywood Deadhead painting box, a case of Moxie and who knows what. I realize you are nine feet tall, 300 lbs and eat Modernists for breakfast, but...
...after painting all day on your favorite Metcalf 26 x 29, and perhaps starting the Masterpiece of your lifetime, how DO you get it and all your other gear back to the car? I can't imagine you carry it in your hands unprotected and risk tripping over an errant root.
Do you employ a Sherpa?

Stapleton Kearns said...

Camille LaRue Olsen
Thanks, Glad I could be useful.
.......Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Tim;
That looks like a nice panel holder. It does look a little small for my uses though.
.........Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Philip Koch;
My boxes are primitive now that the new vinyl jobs are out. There are so many things made today for outdoor painting, that used to be made at home.
.............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

MCGuilmet;
I answer this in tonight's post.
............Stape