Monday, February 1, 2010

A note from Snowcamp

Here is the view we have been painting. That is Mount Lafayette in the middle and Cannon mountain on the right. Between the two, runs Franconia notch.Today was warmer, everybody was hitting their stride and now we all know one another. We meet for breakfast in the morning, work together all day and then have dinner in the evening around a big table. All the time we are sharing our experiences and trading ideas. I am trying to download as much as I can and encourage people to come up with questions for me. We heard some life stories at dinner and traded art experiences, We talked about charity auctions and the gallery scene. We have talked about how we ended up doing this painting thing and what we would like to get from it. Its funny how fast you can get to know a group of people, we are spread across a pretty good span of age, although none of us is under forty. My idea of doing a total immersion workshop is working, I think. No one has even started their car or left the inn the whole weekend. That works well because all we are thinking about is our painting.

This student just painted out in the cold for 7 hours straight, he looks like he is OK to me. I think all of the students were surprised that working out in the cold, wasn't that big a deal. One or two who had lighter boots had to go inside to warm up yesterday but today was warmer and I don't think anybody had a problem. We were remarking that we will never have to deal with colder weather than yesterday's so we will never feel like it is too cold to paint outside again.

Here's another camper who seems to have survived by wearing a special q-tip costume. Over her shoulder to the left are the trees I used in the post last week on the behavior of trees in a group.

Here I am explaining some of the niceties of winter figurative work. People are expecting a lot from me and I am working hard to see they get it. One more day and then snowcamp is over. Snowcamp W comes next. Notice that nice snow covered stone wall behind me. There are lots of those here.

6 comments:

billspaintingmn said...

Stape, that's the most interesting snowman I've ever seen.
That painting looks pretty good too!

Mary Byrom said...

Everyone looks great! I think you have added more white paint to the front of on your parka since Saturday's post Stapleton. Must mean the intensive is working and you are really having fun.

Knitting Out Loud said...

What fun!!! Wish I was there!

Stapleton Kearns said...

Bill:
Actually I photshopped that onto the canvas.
......Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Mary:
I have been daubing paint on that coat for many years.
...............Stape

Stapleton Kearns said...

Knit:
It was fun. You could come.Bring Gimli son of Gloin.
...................Stape